Thursday, 31 October 2013
Wednesday, 30 October 2013
Tuesday, 29 October 2013
Monday, 28 October 2013
Sunday, 27 October 2013
Saturday, 26 October 2013
Its Friday! And that means coffee and cake session for our household.
Here´s to a lovely weekend all of you :-)
Friday, 25 October 2013
With choices comes fun for me each time the season changes. I´m into anything to do with home interior and seen here is a small decorative planter vase I´ve put up to welcome autumn. Some colourful Heide, a few apples, some chestnuts hidden underneath and a candle holder to bring a little light to our little corner.
Halloween project would be something I wish to embark on too. But first, lets see if I can get some lovely inspiration around ...
Sunday, 20 October 2013
Saturday, 19 October 2013
Happy Weekend everyone!
Friday, 18 October 2013
Thursday, 17 October 2013
This is a stew of chinese mustard and pork slices. It is something I grew up eating. Pure comfort food in a cold day, it taste saltish but what the recipe calls for is to balance the saltiness of the salted mustard vegetable with a cup of coconut juice. Mine is with apple juice and worked just as well. But for those who enjoys my western inspired cooking, afraid not because I´ve been skimming lately and all I need is time, time, time. Which will be SOON!
Monday, 14 October 2013
Those were ringing words my mum drilled into me since young. I am used to eating stir-fry vegetables since young since I grew up in a chinese family.
Sometimes too, my mum would cook them in stews or curries, but never eaten cold like how I eat them here in Germany. My meal were always hot back then and it took me a while to adapt eating something cold during winter here.
Its Autumn now but strangely, I wanted to try out this Cold Vegetable Terrine. It looked terribly attractive to say the least with its colours all perking thru the jelly stock.
Quite easy to make but to set the stock was quite tricky since it was not from any recipe book but simply a creation I whipped up suddenly. 2 more gelatine sheets were needed on top of the four used earlier, just to get this small mould set!
But alas, it did set .. and it is sitting prettily in our fridge right now and am thinking of what main course to go with it tomorrow :-)
Sunday, 13 October 2013
Another lazy sunday brunch, but this time instead of enjoying a loaf of freshly baked No-Knead Bread, it is American Pancake stack with yummy Rasberry Syrup. Patience is indeed needed to make these little fluffy babies, and to get them golden brown colour evenly every single piece, observing the amount of bubbles that formed on top of the batter before turning them over is so necessary. Two got burned but ten pieces were serve-worthy.
Saturday, 12 October 2013
Friday, 11 October 2013
This recipe is a keeper. Its my third year making this classic Dutch Apple Cake whenever our apple trees start rewarding us with abundance of it.
Here´s what you do :
1) Mix 300 grams flour, 125 gram sugar, 200 grams cold butter (cubed), pinch of salt and 1 egg yolk in a bowl and blend till it comes together. Keep in fridge for 30 minutes.
2) To prepare the apple filling, place 100ml orange juice, 100grams raisins, 2 tbsp custard powder, some cinammon powder, 1 tbs Cointreau and 1kg apple cube in pan, and cook till the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
3) Heat oven to 175C.
4) Line a tart baking pan with 2/3 of the dough (roll them out to circle and cover the whole base evenly.
5) Pour the apple filling in. Sprinkle your choices of chopped nuts if you wish. Sprinkle some brown sugar and cinammon for extra flavour on the crust.
6) Roll the remaining 1/3 of the dough flat and cut 10 horizontal stripes (estimate). Lay them out criss-cross and seal the corners tightly.
7) Bake for 40 minutes, or until brown at the top. Brush the top with apricot wash (apricot jam + water).
8) Cool them. Ready to serve.
Thursday, 10 October 2013
Wednesday, 9 October 2013
Tuesday, 8 October 2013
Monday, 7 October 2013
Sunday, 6 October 2013
Saturday, 5 October 2013
Friday, 4 October 2013
Thursday, 3 October 2013
Tuesday, 1 October 2013