This recipe is a keeper. Its my third year making this classic Dutch Apple Cake whenever our apple trees start rewarding us with abundance of it.
Here´s what you do :
1) Mix 300 grams flour, 125 gram sugar, 200 grams cold butter (cubed), pinch of salt and 1 egg yolk in a bowl and blend till it comes together. Keep in fridge for 30 minutes.
2) To prepare the apple filling, place 100ml orange juice, 100grams raisins, 2 tbsp custard powder, some cinammon powder, 1 tbs Cointreau and 1kg apple cube in pan, and cook till the sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
3) Heat oven to 175C.
4) Line a tart baking pan with 2/3 of the dough (roll them out to circle and cover the whole base evenly.
5) Pour the apple filling in. Sprinkle your choices of chopped nuts if you wish. Sprinkle some brown sugar and cinammon for extra flavour on the crust.
6) Roll the remaining 1/3 of the dough flat and cut 10 horizontal stripes (estimate). Lay them out criss-cross and seal the corners tightly.
7) Bake for 40 minutes, or until brown at the top. Brush the top with apricot wash (apricot jam + water).
8) Cool them. Ready to serve.