Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Sambal Hae Bee

Thanks to my sister´s maid Wati, who hails from Sumatera, my craving for spicy food is back.  She is such an excellent cook and I made it my mission during my last trip back to learn from her.  And learned I DID!  One of my most important lesson from her is, how to make sambal or curries appear fury RED.  I´ve experimented with dried chillies, bought the freshest and reddest looking chillies around but after sauteeing, it never seem to appear like those sold back at home by the old makciks.  I thought this is it, it must be the chilli qualities.  Until two weeks ago.  I´ve used too much onions in my sambal.  It should be more chillis and during the cooking process, don´t be afraid to add in more oil.  It worked and I´m more than please because it meant that I could get my supply of favourite sambal or curry anytime I want!  Hooray!

Here´s something sooo good which I would like to share with you all.  Some very unexpected ingredient goes into this sambal recipe and its WORTH the tweak.

Recipe :

Blend 15 fresh chillies, 4 large shallots, 2 clove garlic, 1/2 tomatoes and 250 grams soaked dried shrimps in blender with 150ml water.

Heat up 4 tablespoon of sunflower cooking oil in a deep pot.  Pour the sambal paste in.  Tear 12 pieces of kaffir lime leaf in.  Mix well.

Add 3 tablespoons of Gula Melaka to sweeten.  No salt is needed as the Dried Shrimps are already salty.

Add 3 tablespoon of sunflower oil.  Sautee them for 5 - 10 minutes.  I personally like them a bit dry so I sautee them for 10 minutes, but do make sure it does not get burn.  For those of you whom likes it wet, you can stop at 5 minutes.

Once its done, store them in air tight container and keep them in the fridge.  Spoon out to eat as needed.  I was told by Wati that this keeps for 6 months in the fridge!  Not sure about the six months thing but I can assure you it would not last that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.