Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Curry Potato Bun for Merdeka Day




It was Malaysia´s Independence Day on 31 Augusty but it was eerily a low profile day among my Malaysian contact in FB.  Not many people wished Happy Merdeka like how it use too.  There weren´t that many photos of gatherings to celebrate this special day too, which I find very strange because Malaysians are known to grab every opportunity to meet up and eat! But there wasn´t any at all.  But since moving here, I have made it a point to cook or bake something Malaysian whenever there is an occassion related to my birth home.  You can call it homesick or simply, a foodie at heart - whichever.  

This year, I´ve decided to bake a batch of Curry Potato Bun.  But with a little tweak.  Actually its more laziness on my part where I simply grabbed the nearest baking book available and started searching for bun recipe.  I ended up making dinner roll bun dough instead of those fluffy bun bread to go with this roll, so its a tad tougher to chew on really, as one know dinner roll are meant to be like that, or are to be eaten as a dip for ones soup.  The filling of curry potato is fabulous though.  Now that I´ve refilled my spice jars with a new batch of spices - mostly with asian spices I´ve carted home this year, it is something I have been wanting to do for a while but had put them aside till recently.  Well, better late than never!

The recipe makes 16 bun.  After a good bake in the oven for 20 minutes, munching on them couldn´t be more eventful. Malaysia had came a long way since getting independence from the English.  Happy Belated Merdeka everyone!  But, its a long road still to true independence so I do wish her a good journey to where she is suppose to head.

This is an excerp of Tunku Abdul Rahman, the father of independence. And here´s what he said ...

“At this solemn moment, therefore, I call upon you all to dedicate yourselves to the service of the new
Malaya: to work and strive with hand and brain to create a new nation, inspired by the ideals of justice

and liberty – a beacon of light in a disturbed and distracted world. "


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.