Monday, 28 November 2011

1st Advent and I Wanna Say Thanks ...



































The Americans celebrate Thanks Giving to give thanks.  The Germans on the other hand started the coming of Christmas four sundays counting down to Christmas Day by lighting a candle each week starting yesterday evening.  A lot of houses here have started decorating their homes with Christmas decorations, some putting up their fake trees.  I was told our neighbours in Holland frawn upon decorations before Sinterklaas which happen to fall on December 6 - coinceding with Nikolaustag in Germany but over here, its okay and no one really cares.  We have started our fair share of preparations.  It started two weeks ago when I went hunting for good bottles of bubbles and wine.  I got pretty lucky there so I can´t wait to share them when the occassion comes.  We spent our first Advent last night quietly in the livingroom.  The day before was a rather intensive day - we wanted to do some shopping in Enschede and to take a breather but believe it or not, I did most of my shopping at the comfort of our home end of the day.  But above all the hustle of preparation, I think its time for reflection and to share.  My father in law gave us a scare again two nights ago.  His breathing got inconsistent again and I remembered praying in my heart for him to pull thru as we stand around his bedside.  Yesterday morning, I spent some time chatting with him, although I was not sure if he understood me 100%.  He does give me a questioning look whenever I call him Papa.  It is not very easy for an alzheimer patient to join the dots.  Why is this asian looking lady with dark hair calling him papa.  Sometimes I would re-introduce myself but most of the time, I am just too afraid to confuse him further.  Last night, I brought a musical box down to him.  He loved it and that made me felt like I have connected myself to him somehow. It is unfortunate I never get a chance to get to know him when he was healthy, but I guess I have to give thanks that he is with us today and we are able to connect in small small ways as now.  I am also thankful he is not in pain like many whom suffers from other illnesses and above all, it is partly due to his hardwork and diligence that we are living a comfortable live right now.  No worries over house or car morgage, no worries over bills, healthcare etc ...

I also thought of my parents.  They are well and keeping themselves busy by surrounding themselves with their grandchildren duties. 

Today, I had a long chat with my sister back home ... she is well but has been having some health issues lately. As her sister, I of course felt sadden that I am not by her side to give her moral support but only thru words and encouragement via a long distance call.  It is true life has its ups and down, and same goes to her but I do hope she hears me sometimes.  That, one have to love herself first before loving anyone else. True especially when she is a mother of 3.  I also told her to stop thinking about what she plan to do and just do it.  We have been talking for a while and the topic seems to be running in a circle.  She is a tough nut there but I guess, it is easier said than done.  It is also during our conversation that I reflected on my own short comings.  But above all, I told her to have faith and say thanks for all the wonderful things that is going on in her life ...

1 comment:

  1. It is bad when you are away from your family and you cannot support them or be happy with them as you wish! I truly understand you but may be on Christmas you will all meet up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.