Friday, 21 October 2011

Dutch Apple Cake for Vegetarian Friday



































Its Friday, its Friday! Oh .. why am I getting so excited over Friday :-P  Not that it makes a difference in my life right now since I am officially a housewive and am not working.  For the past few days since we got back from London, I have been accompanying my MIL in the garden to pluck whatever apples that is left on our apple trees.  This year, our harvest has been tremendous.  MIL said, she can´t recall when we last had such abundance of apple harvest.  We harvested about 80 just before we left, but every other day, we would pick up another 10-20.  We tried eating them fresh, as much as 3 a day.  We also cooked some of them, turning them into apfelmus but most of them goes down into our cellar.  MIL says that the good ones can stay fresh for a while there.  Just the other day I was down at the cellar and was surprise to spot 100 over apples layed nicely on our cellar racks, as if waiting for some customer to come pick them up.  MIL apparently graded the apples accordingly with A being best eaten fresh, B means we have a week to think about what to do with it still and C being, have to cook them asap.  It is a funny situation, but yes, it has to be done :-P 

Just awhile ago, I baked a Dutch Apple Cake/Tart/Pie ... I have no idea which is the right way to call them really.  The cookbook where I got the recipe from calls it a cake but it clearly is shaped like a tart.  Names aside, it tasted fantastic! I can´t wait for hub to sink his teeth into it.  As I am typing this, he is still not back from work althought he is officially off at 2pm today.  Poor hubby, had to OT since getting back from our Barcelona trip due to his 1 week off and year end work.

3 comments:

  1. i love apple desserts! infact, i made on today. cant get enough of em.

    Iva

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love apple desserts! infact, i made on today. cant get enough of em.

    Iva

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love apple desserts! infact, i made on today. cant get enough of em.

    Iva

    ReplyDelete