Friday, 23 September 2011

Szechuan Peppercorn Chicken & Chinese Steamed Egg for Vegetarian Friday?


I got the inspiration to cook something spicy and szechuanese after watching a few Ch´ng He Huang´s programme on UK´s Food Channel lately. She seems to be smitten with the usage of Szechuan Peppercorn in her latest program call Chinese Food Made Easy. Another ingredient which she uses pretty often and fortunately something I have in my pantry (but still left unopen after half year of buying it) is Sweet Vinegar. My version of Szechuan Peppercorn Chicken was a combination flavour of Szechuan Peppercorn, Dried Chillies, Chilli Oil, Sweet Vinegar and Soya Sauce. I did add onions and ginger to the sauteeing too and it did bring out more flavour to the already tasty sauce base. I think this is a keeper for coming winter. The heat that came with it was not too hot, but was gently smokey and spicy. Today too, I wanted to try my hand at steaming egg after a tip given out by DH Drachten. 1 portion egg to 1 1/2 portion water. I gave it a try and it worked well. It was a fairly luxurious dish as I added in lots of dried scallops, shrimps and fish in addition to mushroom. To top it off, I sprinkle some chopped spring onion to it before serving and a drizzle of sesame oil.

1 comment:

  1. hey, YV, when u goin to rake in the bambinis

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.