Thursday, 23 June 2011

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (Blackforest Cake) and Curry Wurst for German Thursday

Today is a significant day! 

Apart from my proudest moment of attempting to bake the fame Blackforest Cake, partially succeeding in it and fulfilling a guest post promise about the cake here, I finally get the chance to meet up again with our Mandarin teacher turned good friend over a cup of coffee and a slice of cake.  Her son has growned leaps and bound and is adorable as ever.  It is good to catch up instead of couping up at home alone.  And as a reminder, it is something I should do more often too! Thanks KY for coming over :-D


This recipe is a handwritten recipe from hubby´s old German cookbook.  How authentic is that?!  Since it is in German and the recipe is written in a totally different format versus all the standard cookbook format I´ve used and read, I am glad I managed in the end.  The cake proved to be as delicious as how it is suppose to be.  With lots of Kirchwasser alcohol in it, it is actually not a cake to be enjoyed as a family! This is the real deal. So do check out DesperateHousewifeinHolland from time to time for the recipe.

Oh yes, incase I forget to highlight to you again, today is German Thursday.  The cake part was not planned because sorta impromptu as it is a public holiday here and we had guest.  But dinner was planned.

We had Currywurst.  It is a standard snack food which apparently originated from Berlin but had since surface in every corner of Germany.  Currywurst is essentially Grilled Sausages, sliced up and served with tomato base gravy and a dash of curry powder.  It is a very simple snack but nevertheless fulfilling at any time of the year :-D

15 comments:

  1. Looking at these photos I want to have German Thursday too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- your BC cake looks very good !A still "must bake" for me one of these day. You even bought a original paperplate for the currywurst ? It reminds me of the autenthic plasticbox for chicken rice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. now I wanna bake Blackforest cake too. Look soo yummy. As always great job , Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can can, then give me more ideas on what to cook on German Thursday Bree! Hahaha ... but please do Dutch day too ah ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I know what you mean Gabi .. I have been wanting to make this for longest time also until yesterday. Suddenly feel like I pass being the wife of a german hehehehe ... you know of any good BC recipe out there? Na ja .. hub got lots of FOC bratwurst lately and had a session for stammtisch so he bought la the plate along hehehe .. more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lucinda, I am waiting to see yours! I think you will do a better job at the whip cream as me .. I failed the decor part .. sob sob, but nevermind la, will make it again :-D Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lianne,


    i baked black forest cake quite often too. my first time i failed with the decor part too. but second time my cake looked so nice like those in shops. haha!!

    i used one recipe from dr.oetker and it tastes pretty good. if you want, i can send you the link!

    yours look like my first time black forest. i didn't have enough whipped cream to decorate the cake..normally those cherries should be on top of the whipped cream..but it still tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! So it is normal for Msian baking BC first time? Hehe. I am glad it tasted good after all the effort although look a bit flat. I would loveee to have Dr. Oetkers recipe! Thankssss in advance :-) But seriously, I was having soo much problem with the whip cream, the haltbar type in packets from supermarket. I never had this issue during winter, but now yes. I´ve also used Sahnefest, but it did not work. Do you face the same prob???

    ReplyDelete
  9. here's the recipe:

    http://www.oetker.de/oetker/rezepte/backen/torten/schwarzwaelder_kirschtorte_%C3%B8_26_cm.html?RecipesSearch=true

    for the first time my sahne didn't get hard coz i read the instructions from the recipe wrongly.

    the second time when i make it..i used the metal bowl and put it inside the fridge before i use it. when i want to make the sahne, only then i bring it out and the sahne. from the dr.oetker recipe, after you melt the gelatine, let it rest for 5 minutes. it's important. the first time i didn't make it, the sahne won't get hard. i don't know whether that's the problem. then spoon 2 tablesppons of half-beated sahne and mix it to the gelatine. after that pour the whole mixture to the half beated sahne and mix it again until it gets hard.

    i saw from the dr.oetker's video must use the sahne that has at least 30% Fett. i use the one from the cold department.

    from dr.oetker's recipe, there's no need for sahnefest. hope you will be successful in this weather! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks Mae! I will try with sahne that is with at least 30% fett. I did not check the package properly but that could be the problem. Although I did not cool the metal bowl, I did cool the sahne for up to two hours. That did not work out too. I am curious, when you mention hardness from gelatine, how is the volume of the sahne like? I manage to get the consistency one time but that is about it ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. the consistency from the sahne is perfect..it's easy to spread and easy to pipe it out. it's hard to say exactly how the consistency is. but i can say it's easily managed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nais!! My all time fav cake. The wurst looks good as well - though the one i had at this German beer place in KL didn't really taste "curry"ish more mustard wurst!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks Mae, I will give the gelatine method a try when i make this kind of cream cake again. thanks heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Neko! You have the try the ones with Kirschewasser in it, taste nothing like the ones we get back home. The curry sauce is very simple .. just ketchup and some vinegar in .. thats it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lianne,

    i forgot to tell you that i use the powdered gelatine from dr.oetker. the pack has 2 packs inside. i used only 1 to make the sahne for my black forest cake from dr.oetker's website :P

    ReplyDelete