Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Golden Dragon, Ahaus

I finally made my way to one of the Asian restaurant in Ahaus on Monday afternoon for lunch. I suddenly found no inspiration to cook that day, felt lonely and soooo homesick (must be my 2nd day menstruating that´s making me sooo emo!) and after being home alone over the weekend coz Juergen was in Croatia than, I needed something to remind me of home.

Golden Dragon ... right infront of K&K, before my grocery shopping expedition.

Photobucket

Owned by a chinese, cooks are from mainland chinese and wait staff from Vietnam. The moment I entered, the wait staff started asking if I live here, and where I´m from. With my broken deutsch, I manage to tell him I´m from Malaysia but currently living here. It seems that I´m the only Malaysian here, but there´s a Singaporean, Korean, some mainland Chinese, a Taiwanese, some Vietnamese and Thais living around this area. Woohoo! Not so bad huh ...

Photobucket

Anyway .. my tummy were rumbling and I took a quick seat near the buffet table. It was 30 minutes before noon and I was the FIRST customer. I initially though of ala carte but since they were running a Euro6.50 buffet (damn cheap!), I decided to give it a go. Had to wait a while though so I filled up my tummy with ...

Photobucket

Ginger Ale drink first ... which was so good! My new favourite beverage!

Photobucket

And munched on 3 plates of cracker loh .. than, waited and waited. Thankfully, minutes later ... the soup arrived but was told to give it another 10 minutes for it to warm up. Wait loh ...

Photobucket

1 minute before times up, I attacked! Tomyum Soup ... gooddddddd! It was slightly spicy, a bit sweet and ingredients were fresh. No seafood however, but chicken pieces were tender and succulent. I won´t say this is the best tomyum soup I´ve tried of course, but with limited choices here, I will return for more!

Photobucket

The other soup choices available were Peking Soup. The thick starchy kind, with had hint of vinegar, hmmmm .. I prefer the clean taste of tomyum better.

Photobucket

This was my first plate.

Fried Wantan at top (with miserable minced meat filling), Spring Rolls (moderate taste and from the packet I reckon) and the one that´s surprisingly good is the Roast Chicken Breast with Peanut Sauce. It was yummy yummmmy so I went for seconds!

On the left side of the plate were a braised Tofu and Bamboo Shoot dish and upon arrival, the waiter quickly pointed out to me THE TOFU pieces and ask me to scoop it quickly! Hahaha ... its treasure you see and there were only 3 miserable pieces in the whole serving dish and I took two! Hahahaha. Well, the taste were like normal tofu loh and not fresh so next time, I should just leave them to the desperate tofu lover eater huh.

And can you spot the vege in the middle of my plate? Yes! That is SPARGEL aka White Asparagus. It cost nothing here and can be found everywhere but back in KL, wahhh ... treasure huh. Taste wise .. hmmm, the cooking style drowned the taste seriously so I can´t comment if its good.

Photobucket

I went for more Spargel anyway, some noodles which were NOT oily (like those in London, yucks!) and super yummy Thai Style Yellow Curry Chicken! The round ball is Goreng Pisang which was NOT BAD. The other deep fried batter is fish fillet. Normal stuff.

Photobucket

Spargel from upclose and personal. Damn fat spargel.

Photobucket

I only manage to eat two plates of the main and my tummy were already full coz I ate too fast. Ahem. But, I can always return when my craving hits again eh ...

And so, I decided to have a closure of a dessert bowl, consisting of canned papaya, lychee, guava and pineapple. Simple dessert but perfect ending.

Photobucket

Well, I will try out their ala carte next and see if its any good. After shopping, and on the way back ... I bumped into the korean lady, two vietnamese and a mainland chinese around the shopping area!

Is some Asian festival going on?

What coincidence!

2 comments:

  1. whoa that was dirt cheap for such quality and varieties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah, very Malaysia-Chinese feel. But what is spargel eh?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.